The licensing process for contractors in New York State differs from other states in that there isn’t just one way to become a licensed contractor in the state. Within New York City, some rules differ from those outside the city. Each area of New York has its own license requirements, and contractors in each area must have a license for that specific area before they can work there.
How to Become A General Contractor In New York
To become a general contractor, you will first need to meet these minimum requirements;
- Graduation from high school or GED
- Legal work status in the U.S.
- A clean record of work
- In the past 10 years, you must have at least 4 years of journeyman-level experience
- Obtain a contractor’s license
You can become a general contractor with prior experience and knowledge, but you must earn a license first. A commercial general contractor has relevant certifications and licenses, as well as years of experience. Additionally, some earn a master’s degree or a bachelor’s degree to stay up to date on industry trends and techniques.
Licensing is a key part of becoming a general contractor in most states.
Do you need a license to be a General Contractor in New York?
To build, repair, remodel, or do any other kind of home improvement work on residential land or buildings in New York City, a home improvement contractor license is required.
General Contractor Licensing In New York
New York City’s general contractor license is called a home improvement license, but it grants the same rights as any general contracting license. New York City, requires the following:
- IRS Employer Identification Number form
- Form LIC6 completed with notarized signature
- An official list of all owners, shareholders, and stockholders of your company including their social security numbers
- An account statement showing a balance of $25,000 for the last three months or a letter from the bank stating that the account has never fallen below $25,000
- The proper coverage of all employees with workers’ compensation insurance
- General liability insurance
- Fees for background checks
- An official document that verifies the physical address of the business
It is just necessary to provide all that information so that a background check can be conducted before you can apply for a contractor’s license. In order to apply for your contractor’s license, you will need to fill out another set of documents once your background check has been cleared. Generally, once the applicants clear the background check, their licenses can be approved easily.
An application adviser is required for every contractor in New York looking to obtain a license. To start the background check process, you must work with an application adviser, who will assist you in submitting the information necessary.
Every day, new contractor organizations are formed in New York State to support the booming construction industry. New York State requires you to follow a specific process to obtain a license to work as a contractor. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to engage in this industry.